Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Three Wishes

"So...." the Gypsy asked, looking as evil as possible. I gulp. This is so hard, I think to myself. "Three wishes," she repeats. "A happening, a thing, and a place you want to go," she croaks. Her eyes stare maliciously into mine. She smiles a mean grin. "Choose carefully, darling. And remember, you may not wish for any more wishes or anything to do with money," she says.

"How does she get so much make-up on in the morning?" I wonder, completely ignoring every word she says, "Whoops! Three wishes. Right." I get distracted really easily. "Ummmm?" I think aloud, "I want it to snow ten feet per week in Alpine. Oh! And I want to have a baby sister. And make her really cute and nice." I think about my last wish. This is actually kind of fun. "I think I want to go to Iceland. That place is awesome." I smile, satisfied with myself.

"Why would you want any of those things?" she questions rudely with a face of confusion and disgust.

"Well," I ponder, "I want it to snow here because it is like a desert, probably because it is. But anyways, I adore snow. There is a ton more fun opportunities and things to do with snow than when it is hot. Secondly, it gets tiring having five older brothers. Mostly because you have to attend the sports or art shows or whatever in the world they like to do. Also I love babies and taking care of them. It's so precious seeing their quiet and peaceful expressions when they sleep.
"Lastly, I want to go to Iceland because of the beautiful animals, glaciers and geysers.
It is beautiful there because people are more careful about where they place their trash. They also leave the sensitive landscape alone. Also, the language is very pretty My favorite animal that lives there is the puffin. They are cute and feathery and they have a thick layer of feathers to keep them warm in the winter.
"Now do my wishes make sense to you?" I ask.

She nods and says, "Wait one week and then your wishes will come true."

1 comment:

  1. One ordinary morning in Provo, UT a boy aroused at ten til eight as his cell phone went off, signaling the return to reality. He rubbed his eyes and looked around the room, cleaned and organized the day before just because his cousin was moving in. They had been separated by vast oceans for so long, and now it was strangely normal for them to be back together. The boy lay in bed soaking in the morning air and he couldn't help but smile. Life is perfect that way. The weather was pleasant, he had the greatest family ever, and just the night before he stayed up late with his friends eating oatmeal cookies and watching the Sigur Rós movie Heima. He got out of bed and checked his email and read his sister's blog. He smiled. It would be great to go to Iceland.

    ReplyDelete